Joseph Kahn knows his way around a music video: 18 of his best
Joseph Kahn has created another back-of-the-net music video masterpiece with Taylor Swift – this time for her comeback track Look What You Made Me Do.
The track itself may have divided pop fans over recent days (I’m still not sure what the hell I think about it) but the video puts the whole thing into context and serves up a barrage of references and blink-and-you-miss-it moments that have sent its Vevo viewcount spiralling after just a few hours on release.
And it’s a testament to his abilities as a director that – unlike, say, Katy Perry’s Swish Swish video last week – a load of ideas and motifs can come across as slick rather than slapdash.
He’s put his name to a huge number of iconic clips over the years – here are just 18.
Would you just LOOK at these CLASSICS!:
1. Taylor Swift – Look What You Made Me Do
2. Taylor Swift – Blank Space
It seems Joseph and Taylor have a knack for #selfaware content.
3. Britney Spears – Stronger
The chairs! The bit on the bridge! ICONIC!
4. Britney Spears – Toxic
This is one of the best videos in the history of videos, surely.
5. Kelly Clarkson – Behind These Hazel Eyes
6. Kelly Clarkson – Never Again
He does a good line in Angst Kelly.
7. Backstreet Boys – Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)
One of the most iconic boyband videos ever.
8. Janet Jackson – Doesn’t Really Matter
9. Eminem – Without Me
10. Brandy and Monica – The Boy Is Mine
11. Pussycat Dolls – When I Grow Up
12. Aaliyah – If Your Girl Only Knew
13. Destiny’s Child – Say My Name
WHAT A MOMENT.
14. Eminem and Rihanna – Love The Way You Lie
15. Kylie Minogue – All The Lovers
A true gift to the gays.
16. Britney Spears – Womanizer
This was the moment, post-dark-years, when it looked like Britney was finally alive again.
17. Nicole Scherzinger – Poison
God it’s still so annoying that this song wasn’t a global smash.
18. Shakira and Rihanna – Can’t Remember To Forget You